Monday, August 20, 2012

Have Mechanic, Will Travel

I'm planning to write a book in Oaxaca this year; I could write it entirely about our car troubles. I can't give a full account until I get to Oaxaca (assuming we ever do). For the moment I'll just say that the van has finally given up the ghost and we ate stuck in Saltillo, which is better than many other places we could have been stuck, but which is still pretty much an armpit.

Every single one of our six (seven? Eight?) days on the road, Homero has had to make some repair  to the van. Day before yesterday we were caught in the worst thunderstorm Ove ever been in with no windshield wipers. No shoulder to pull off. I was driving, I just followed the lights of the truck in front of me and thanked god the road was straight.

Solenoid packet. Serpentine belt. Idler pulley bearing. Head gaskets. And now transmission.
Our current plan is to leave this piece of junk to spend enternitu rusting away in a Mexican junkyard and rent a van to get to Oaxaca.

Wish us luck

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, what a journey this is turning out to be! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luck luck luck! Oh dear, this is one hell of a journey! Just remember, you'll be telling this story for the rest of your life -- the gods are making sure it's a GOOD story! :-P

    ReplyDelete